The 2015 National Tournament is still a long ways off, but it’s never too early to look forward to the best weekend of the season. As mentioned in Nationals 2015 Preview #1, I have had the opportunity to discuss Nationals plans with Director of Nationals: Nick Johnson of Western Kentucky. Listed below are a few interesting facts on this year’s All Start Match.
- Nick Johnson plans to bring back the popular “Michigan vs. The World” format for the NCDA’s All Star Game. This was last done at Nationals 2011 (coincidentally, that Nationals was also held at WKU).
- The format for the All Star Game will include two 20-man rosters, which is a positive change from the last few seasons when each team had 30 players.
- The number of participants for each Michigan region team will be determined by the outcome of the Michigan Dodgeball Cup on Feb. 14, 2015. The first place team will get 7 spots, 2nd place gets 5, 3rd gets 4, 4th gets 2, 5th gets 1, and 6th gets 1.
- If the 5th and 6th place teams are unable to attend Nationals and can’t bring a representative, their spots will be awarded to another team.
- As for how the World’s All Star Team will be assembled, each team will first get awarded one spot. From there, The Director of Nationals: Nick Johnson, along with two others will decide on which teams are awarded the remainder of the spots. There will be a maximum of 3 spots awarded to any non-Michigan school for the All Star Match.
- As is always the case, All Stars will be given team shirts for the match. The colors and designs will be determined at a later date.
- Much more will be determined in regards to the All Star Match as we in closer to Nationals 2015, so stay tuned for updates!